Easy vanilla cupcakes to make during the Christmas holidays.
Looking for a delicious dessert that is easy to make during the Christmas holidays? Why not try the Vanilla Christmas cupcake recipe by MARY-ANN&CO. These cupcakes are so soft, they rise evenly and they go well with just about any cupcake frosting.
Calories: 183 kcal
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain kefir, room temperature
Prep Time: 8 minutes I Cook Time: 22 minutes I Total Time: 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed 5 minutes until thick and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition then scrape down the bowl. Add 2 tsp vanilla and beat to combine.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium and add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the buttermilk, mixing to incorporate with each addition. Scrape down the bowl as needed and beat until just combined and smooth. Divide the batter evenly into a 12-count lined muffin or cupcake pan, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes at 180°C, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before frosting.
Buttercream Icing Ingredients
- finely grated lemon zest
- finely grated orange zest
- a dash of vanilla extract
- few drops food colouring
- cocoa powder, to taste
Prep Time: 10 minutes I Calories: 284 kcal
STEP 1: Beat 600g sifted icing sugar and 300g butter together with your chosen flavouring and colouring if using, add 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water to loosen and beat until smooth.
STEP 2: Fill a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe onto cupcakes or smear in the middle and over the top of a 20 cm cake using a palette knife. Last but not least, decorate your cupcakes with additional Christmassy decorations (optional).